The U.S Geological Survey announces that the agency will award more than $20 million in 2020 for applied earthquake research, seismic and geodetic monitoring activities in moderate- to high-risk areas nationwide. More than 40 universities, state geological surveys, and private institutions are the recipients of grants and cooperative agreements in 2020. Furthermore, additional funding for the west coast ShakeAlert earthquake early warning system will be awarded later this year.
Research grants funded in 2020 include:
Using a machine-learning approach to investigate ground-motion alerts for earthquake early warning.
Evaluating outer-rise earthquake hazards from the Puerto Rico trench.
Improving deformation and fault compatibility using earthquake simulators and next-generation hazard models.
Determining temporal characteristics of aftershock sequences in the Intermountain West.
Determining earthquake-hazard implications and deformation rate recorded by marine terraces above the Cascadia Subduction Zone.
Investigating the distribution of fault creep on San Francisco Bay area faults.
USGS will also provide funds for applied earthquake research through a cooperative agreement with the Southern California Earthquake Center (SCEC), a university research consortium that supports research and education in seismology, tectonic geodesy, earthquake geology, computational science, and many interdisciplinary studies in earthquake science in Southern California and elsewhere.
Funds are also being provided for earthquake monitoring through cooperative agreements with several regional seismic and geodetic networks of the USGS Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS). The ANSS is a cooperative effort to collect and analyze seismic and geodetic data on earthquakes, issue timely and reliable notifications of their occurrence and impacts and provide data for earthquake research and the hazard and risk assessments that are the foundation for creating an earthquake-resilient nation.
External research supports important work such as mapping seismic hazards, developing earthquake planning scenarios, defining the prehistoric record of large earthquakes, investigating the origins of earthquakes, and improving methods for predicting earthquake effects.
For a complete list of funded earthquake projects, and reports of previously funded work, visit:
The USGS provides science for a changing world. For more information, visit www.usgs.gov.
- Global National: Jan. 3, 2021 | Possible COVID-19 spike after the holidays cause for concernOn this episode of Global National: With the holidays wrapped, health officials are keeping an eye on Canada’s COVID-19 case numbers. Mike Armstrong reports on what early signs say about whether public health rules were actually heeded across a wide scale. And as the COVID-19 crisis worsens in Ontario’s […]
- House Republicans vote to remove Cheney from leadership | WNTWyoming Rep. Liz Cheney was voted out of her GOP leadership position on Wednesday following her ongoing criticism of former President Donald Trump and his attacks on the 2020 election results. WATCH THE FULL EPISODE OF ‘WORLD NEWS TONIGHT’: https://bit.ly/2RewpaL WATCH OTHER FULL EPISODES OF WORLD NEWS […]
- COVID-19, Malanka celebrations, President Trump impeachment: Week in PhotosA look at the week’s top photos from around the globe. Source: ABC News […]
- Dr. Fauci Warns Those With Underlying Allergic Tendencies Prone To Covid Vaccine ReactionsThe nation’s leading infectious disease expert Dr. Fauci spoke about reactions to the Covid-19 vaccine after two people in the U.K. received the Pfizer vaccine and experienced significant allergic reactions. Fauci said, “ If I were a person that had an underlying allergic tendency, I might want to be prepared that I […]
- An Inside Look at Hand-Poked Japanese TattoosJapanese tattoo artist Horihiro Mitomo works entirely by hand, using traditional techniques and materials to create the elaborate, full-body tattoos known as horimono. He explains the special beauty of tebori (hand-poked) Japanese tattoos. Music: "Hana" by Fumio Miyashita. Courtesy of Domo Records. Check out […]
- WATCH: State Department spokesperson Ned Price holds news briefingStream your PBS favorites with the PBS app: https://to.pbs.org/2Jb8twG Find more from PBS NewsHour at https://www.pbs.org/newshour Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2HfsCD6 Follow us: Facebook: http://www.pbs.org/newshour Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/newshour Instagram: […]
- Supreme Court blocks COVID-19 restrictions at houses of worshipThe Supreme Court blocked New York from reimposing capacity limits at churches and synagogues in a 5-4 decision. Source: ABC News […]
- Biden Rallies Crowd Ahead Of Georgia Senate Race | NBC News NOWPresident-elect Joe Biden encouraged the crowd to get out and vote for Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphael Warnock and questioned why Trump still wants to be president at a campaign rally in Atlanta, Georgia. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News […]
- WATCH LIVE: How lack of access to IDs and driver’s licenses hold people back after prisonFreed from incarceration, thousands of Americans face newly closed doors each year when they struggle to obtain basic government identification and driver’s licenses. Without necessary identification, they’re unable to find housing, jobs and transportation necessary to rebuild their lives. Join PBS NewsHour’s […]
- ASL Video Series: When You Can Be Around OthersIf you have COVID-19 or think you might have COVID-19, it is important to stay home and away from other people. More COVID-19 information in ASL: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvrp9iOILTQatwnqm61jqFrsfUB4RKh6J More COVID-19 information in English text: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ Development of these […]
- Coronavirus: Quebec Premier François Legault gives update on COVID-19 response | LIVEQuebec Premier François Legault is providing an update on the province’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic Thursday afternoon. Health authorities in Quebec have reported fewer than 2,000 new cases of COVID-19 for four consecutive days — almost two weeks since the imposition of a provincewide curfew between 8 […]
- Vice President receives COVID-19 vaccine on live TV l ABC NewsU.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams and the vice president’s wife also received the vaccination to encourage Americans to get vaccinated. #ABCNews #BreakingNews #Pence #COVID19Vaccine #COVID19 #OperationWarpSpeed #Pfizer Source: ABC News […]
- Jacob Blake tells his story after being shot 7 times by policeBlake, who is now partially paralyzed, recounted being shot by police after they used a stun gun on him. Police say he drew a knife on them. The officers are on paid leave and will not face charges. Source: ABC News […]
- Your Voice: COVID affects schoolingStudents and parents sound off on how COVID-19 has disrupted their time at school. ABC News Live Prime, Weekdays at 7EST & 9EST WATCH the ABC News Live Stream Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ma8oQLmSM SUBSCRIBE to ABC NEWS: https://bit.ly/2vZb6yP Watch More on http://abcnews.go.com/ LIKE ABC News on […]
- Cheney Stands By Criticism Of Trump Despite Mounting Pressure From Republicans | NBC NewsRep. Liz Cheney is facing growing pressure from her Republican colleagues as she continues to stand by her criticism of President Trump for making false election claims. NBC’s Leigh Ann Caldwell reports from Capitol Hill. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: […]
- Sec. Becerra says Biden to build on ‘Obamacare’ after Supreme Court tosses GOP lawsuitThe Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, survived a third major legal challenge at the U.S. Supreme Court Thursday. In a 7-2 vote, the justices rejected a lawsuit brought by 18 Republican-led states that questioned the ACA’s legality over an individual mandate penalty. Judy Woodruff speaks with Secretary of […]
- Long lines, guests leaving rooms at Canada’s COVID-19 quarantine hotelsIt has been less than a week since tight restrictions were put into place for non-essential travel into Canada. Travellers who arrive by air are required to quarantine in a designated hotel for three days upon landing. The new rule is part of an effort to reduce non-essential travel and get ahead of the new virus […]
- Watch the Senate vote on impeachment of Donald Trump7 Republicans joined 50 Democrats in voting that former President Donald Trump was guilty of inciting the January 6 US Capitol riot but fell short of the 67 votes needed to convict him. #TrumpImpeachment #CNN #News Source: CNN […]
- China Scrutinizes U.S. After Facing Criticisms For WHO Investigation Into Covid Origins | NBC NewsAfter facing criticisms from the United States over the World Health Organization’s investigation into the origins of the coronavirus, the Chinese Embassy fired back, saying that the U.S. "gravely damaged international cooperation on Covid-19" by withdrawing from the WHO in July 2020. The decision to […]
- Americans In Need Form Long Lines At Nation’s Food Banks | NBC Nightly NewsVolunteers at the nation’s food banks are working hard this Thanksgiving holiday to help the 54 million Americans who don’t have access to enough food. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News is a leading source of global news and […]
- By the Numbers: Remembering Hank AaronThe baseball legend, who died at 86, holds or held some of Major League Baseball’s most storied records. ABC News Live Prime, Weekdays at 7EST & 9EST WATCH the ABC News Live Stream Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ma8oQLmSM SUBSCRIBE to ABC NEWS: https://bit.ly/2vZb6yP Watch More on […]
- Live: Ohio Gov. DeWine Holds Coronavirus Briefing | NBC NewsWatch as Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine holds a press briefing on the state’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic. NBC News NOW is live, reporting breaking news and developing stories in real time. We are on the scene, covering the most important stories of the day and taking deep dives on issues you care about. Be sure to […]
- PBS NewsHour live episode, Jan. 8, 2021Stream your PBS favorites with the PBS app: https://to.pbs.org/2Jb8twG Find more from PBS NewsHour at https://www.pbs.org/newshour Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2HfsCD6 Follow us: Facebook: http://www.pbs.org/newshour Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/newshour Instagram: […]
- El-Erian: This Bitcoin surge is different than the othersMohamed El-Erian, chief economic adviser at Allianz, says the current surge in Bitcoin prices is different than the past because there’s a solid foundation of long-term holders. #MohamedElErian #Cryptocurrency #CNNBusiness Source: CNN […]
- PBS NewsHour full episode, Dec. 8, 2020Support your local PBS station here: https://pbs.org/donate Friday on the NewsHour, Congress struggles to provide COVID relief and a last-minute scramble to fund the government, new reports reveal the broader scope of a major cyberattack against the U.S., Senegal is seen as a model of combating the coronavirus, and […]
- Coronavirus: WHO says vaccine makers working non-stop to plug supply gapThe World Health Organization’s Europe director Hans Kluge said on Thursday that vaccine manufacturers were working non-stop to plug shortfalls in supplies to countries struggling to curb the COVID-19 pandemic and urged them not to jostle for deliveries. Asked about delays in expediting Pfizer and AstraZeneca […]
- Covid-19: Oxford vaccine proves highly effective – BBC NewsA coronavirus vaccine developed by the UK’s University of Oxford protects 70% of people, a large trial has shown. The figure could be as high as 90% by tweaking the dose. It comes after Pfizer and Moderna vaccines showed 95% protection. But the Oxford jab is far cheaper and easier to store – so could play […]
- White House encouraged by cease-fire reports in Middle EastAirstrikes and rocket attacks have raged on amid expectations of an imminent cease-fire. Source: ABC News […]
- Rep. Jim Jordan Says Democrats ‘Obsessed’ With Trump Impeachment | NBC NewsRep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, spoke out against the 25th amendment resolution and impeachment, as well as masks and “cancel culture” on the House floor. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News Digital is a collection of innovative and powerful […]
- Why 41 percent of Republicans don’t plan to get the COVID vaccineAlthough nearly 41 million Americans are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19, one segment of the population remains steadfast in its opposition to getting the vaccine: Republicans. Recent polls, including our latest PBS NewsHour/NPR/Marist poll, shows at least 41 percent of Republicans don’t plan to get […]
- Biden, senior US officials condemn destruction of media office in Gaza, reiterate support for IsraelSpeaking to the media today in Washington, DC on Monday, U.S. President Joe Biden said he would shortly be speaking with Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu, and did not address comments he had made days earlier saying in his opinion, there "has not been a significant overreaction" when it comes to […]
- Biden addresses deadly Atlanta-area spa shootingsAfter a meeting with AAPI leaders, President Joe Biden delivered a forceful condemnation of the violence against Asian Americans and called on Congress to pass the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act. Source: ABC News […]
- Thousands Forced To Evacuate As Bond Fire Spreads In Southern California | NBC News NOWThousands have been forced to evacuate after a house fire spread to the canyons in Southern California. The blaze known as the Bond Fire has consumed more than 3,600 acres. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News Digital is a collection of […]
- Thailand votes on constitutional reforms as protests continue | DW NewsProtesters are taking to the streets of downtown Bangkok on Wednesday, one day after six people were shot with live rounds in violent clashes with royalists and security authorities. The latest unrest come as lawmakers in the capital were voting on potential changes to Thailand’s constitution. The youth-led […]
- The GMAO High-Resolution Coupled Model and Assimilation System for Seasonal PredictionThe Global Modeling and Assimilation Office (GMAO) is about to release a new version of the Goddard Earth Observing System (GEOS) Subseasonal to Seasonal prediction (S2S) system, GEOS-S2S-3, that represents an improvement in performance and infrastructure over the previous system, GEOS-S2S-2. The system will be […]
- A Tangled Web l 20/20 l PART 3Cari Farver’s mother reports her missing but the hate-filled texts continue: Part 3 When Farver missed one family event after another, including her father’s funeral, her mother Nancy Raney became convinced something was wrong. Dave Kroupa becomes more and more afraid of his stalker. WATCH THE FULL EPISODE […]
- Mexico City overpass collapse: Hundreds demonstrate to demand justice for victimsHundreds of demonstrators took to the streets of Mexico City on Friday to demand justice for victims of a rail overpass collapse that occurred on Monday night, killing at least 24 people. People paid tribute to the victims, leaving flowers and playing music outside Los Olivos station, where the overpass collapsed. […]
- Cooper: Trump didn’t have courage to tell US people the truthCNN’s Anderson Cooper calls out President Donald Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic as it continues to surge across the country. #CNN #News Source: CNN […]
- Students activists help divert millions in funding away from law enforcement in schoolsThe role of police officers in schools has come under increasing scrutiny, as communities across the U.S. respond to calls for racial justice and re-evaluate student safety. In Los Angeles, student activists played a major role in getting the school district to move away from funding police in schools. Julia Escobar, […]
- Coronavirus: Ontario officials discuss ethical framework for COVID-19 vaccine distribution | FULLOntario’s associate chief medical officer of health Dr. Barbara Yaffe, alongside COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Task Force members Dr. Dirk Huyer, coordinator for provincial outbreak response, and bioethicist Dr. Maxwell Smith, provided an update Wednesday on the province’s Ethical Framework for COVID-19 vaccine […]
- How FEMA is responding to Texas’ weather crisisActing Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Bob Fenton discusses efforts to help Texas and the challenges he’s facing as the weather gets warmer. Source: ABC News […]
- Power of the pardonA look at the traditional Thanksgiving turkey pardons through the years. ABC News Live Prime, Weekdays at 7EST & 9EST WATCH the ABC News Live Stream Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ma8oQLmSM SUBSCRIBE to ABC NEWS: https://bit.ly/2vZb6yP Watch More on http://abcnews.go.com/ LIKE ABC News on FACEBOOK […]
- Watergate journalist: Trump guilty of crimes against DemocracyKey Watergate figures Carl Bernstein and John Dean explain the differences between former Presidents Donald Trump and Richard Nixon following reports the Department of Justice under Trump demanded data on 73 phone numbers and 36 email addresses related to lawmakers. #CarlBernstein #JohnDean #AC360 Source: CNN […]
- Tropical threat takes aim at Gulf coast l GMAElwyn Lopez reports from New Orleans as tropical storm warnings stretch up to the Alabama-Florida border. GET THE THE LATEST: Louisiana issues state of emergency as potential tropical storm takes aim: https://abcn.ws/3cSeHBA #ABCNews #Claudette #NewOrleans #Louisiana #StateofEmergency Source: ABC News […]
- Melinda Gates: Covid-19 vaccine needs to be distributed worldwide for a faster economic recoveryMelinda Gates is urging leaders in wealthy countries not to forget about the rest of the world as coronavirus vaccines begin to roll out. “Everybody needs this vaccine,” Gates, co-founder of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, told CNN’s Poppy Harlow Thursday. “If we only get it to the high-income countries, this […]
- Global National: Dec. 21, 2020 | Ontario preparing to enter province-wide lockdownTonight’s top story: Ontarians will face a strict new lockdown right after Christmas, as the province aims to get a handle on COVID-19 cases. As Eric Sorensen reports, Canada’s capital city of Ottawa, where cases have dwindled, sees the new orders as unfair. Canada has joined a growing list of countries banning […]
- PBS NewsHour Weekend Full Episode February 13, 2021On this edition for Saturday, February 13, the Senate voted to acquit former President Donald Trump, with seven Republicans crossing party lines to convict him on charges of inciting the January 6th insurrection. And in our signature segment, the debate over hazard pay for workers on the frontlines of the COVID-19 […]
- Tuskegee Airmen played crucial roles in US victory in WWII and civil rights movement | NightlineThe Tuskegee Airmen were sent into war to fill risky roles protecting white pilots. The group pushed back on their mistreatment and the Air Force was the first military branch to fully integrate. WATCH NIGHTLINE EPISODES: https://abc.go.com/shows/nightline ALSO AVAILABLE ON HULU: https://hulu.tv/2wSmSrZ #Nightline […]
- PBS NewsHour West live episode, May 18, 2021Stream your PBS favorites with the PBS app: https://to.pbs.org/2Jb8twG Find more from PBS NewsHour at https://www.pbs.org/newshour Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2HfsCD6 Follow us: Facebook: http://www.pbs.org/newshour Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/newshour Instagram: […]
- You can test negative for COVID-19 but still have it. Here’s howHealth experts and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are warning Americans about their holiday travel plans, as coronavirus case numbers explode across the U.S. As Americans their potential holiday plans, it is important to keep in mind that getting a negative test result doesn’t guarantee safety for you […]
- WATCH LIVE: FDA committee considers emergency use for Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine
- Whoops! Man dropped iPhone from plane while it was filmingAn iPhone falls from a plane with the video rolling and survives to tell the tale. CNN’s Jeanne Moos reports. #JeanneMoos #CNN #News Source: CNN […]
- FDA approves diabetes drug to treat obesityStudies show the drug, “Wegovy,” helped participants with an average weight loss of 15%. Source: ABC News […]
- DRL Support for Freedom of Association in KazakhstanBureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor United States Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor (DRL) Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO): DRL Support for Freedom of Association in Kazakhstan This is the announcement of funding opportunity number SFOP0007857 Catalog of Federal Domestic […]
- Biden, Fauci urge COVID-19 vaccinations as delta variant now dominant in UK | WNTThe variant is spreading rapidly among younger people in the U.K., President Joe Biden tweeted. Dr. Anthony Fauci hopes 70% of the U.S. will be vaccinated by the Fourth of July. #WorldNewsTonight #COVID19 #DeltaVariant Source: ABC News […]
- Surveillance Video Shows Moments Before Atlanta Spa Shootings | NBC Nightly NewsThe video shows the suspected gunman entering the first spa on his deadly rampage, and the aftermath as police arrived. All eight victims, six of them Asian women, have now been identified. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video: http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News Digital is a […]
- Ex-Capitol police chief contradicts GOP senator at riot hearingDuring the Senate hearing on the Capitol riot, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) claimed that the vast majority of Trump supporters are pro-law enforcement but the former Capitol police chief said that many rioters at the Capitol identified themselves as police and tried to illegally enter the building. #RonJohnson #CNN #News […]
- President Biden signs bill recognizing Juneteenth as federal holidayThe bill passed with overwhelming bipartisan support, but activists say the symbolic victory is far from the substantial change they have demanded. SUBSCRIBE to ABC NEWS: https://bit.ly/2vZb6yP Watch More on http://abcnews.go.com/ LIKE ABC News on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/abcnews FOLLOW ABC News on TWITTER: […]
- Morocco’s Navy Hosts US Coast Guard for Operation ‘Phoenix Express’Morocco’s Navy Hosts US Coast Guard for Operation ‘Phoenix Express’ Members of the US Coast Guard worked alongside the Moroccan Royal Navy to train on region-specific issues such as counter enemy, drug trafficking, and irregular migration. Morocco’s Navy hosted members of the US Coast Guard for the regional maritime […]
- South Africa: ‘level three’ lockdown | DW NewsSouth African President Cyril Ramaphosa has reimposed a ban on alcohol sales and ordered the closure of all bars as part of new restrictions to contain a resurgence of the coronavirus – including a new variant. He also announced an extension of a nighttime curfew from 9 pm until 6 am. Ramaphosa said reckless […]